These are the rules governing the assignment and use of carrels in the UNO Library.
- Any current faculty member, retired faculty member, visiting scholar, or "all-but-dissertation" (ABD) doctoral student may be assigned an individual carrel. This room is assigned to the individual and does
not extend to family members or other students/faculty.
- All applicants must have a current connection with the university at the time of their application.
- Doctoral students' status must be verified, either in our system or by having her/his advising professor contact the library and certify that she/he has passed all exams and are at the dissertation
level. A doctoral student is one who is currently enrolled in a 7000 level course for thesis or
dissertation research or writing.
- Visiting scholars must have the head of the department overseeing their visit send an email
to firstname.lastname@example.org verifying their connection and length of stay.
- Current faculty members will have their carrels for an academic year, to be renewed at the end of
each Spring semester. All others will need to renew their carrels at the end of each semester.
- Library carrels are to be used for research and study.
- Due to the shortage of space, two occupants may be assigned to each carrel.
- Library materials must be checked out to the carrel occupant before being left in a carrel.
- The library reserves the right to have its authorized personnel enter carrels to search for missing
library items not properly checked out. Unchecked out items will be returned to the collection.
- If carrel occupants do not want library personnel to disclose their carrel location to inquiring students
and patrons, they must alert us to that fact by stating so in the "Additional Comments" field on the
- Do not leave anything of value in your carrel. The library assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen
- Windows cannot be blocked by any material.
- No food or food wrappers/containers, no sleeping bags/pillows, etc. should be left in the room.
- Problems with the room (lights out, cleaning, etc.) should be reported to the Public Services Desk or
- Renewal messages will be sent to the UNO email address of record for each applicant. Failure to
to renewal messages promptly may result in your items being boxed and stored and your carrel
Once a key is assigned by the library, it becomes the responsibility of the key holder. This key
assignment complies with the university’s Access Control Policy, AP37.03.
- It will be the key holder’s responsibility to return the key upon departing the university or when no
longer qualifying for a library carrel. The key must be returned to the library at the Public Services
- If the key is lost, the key holder must follow the Access Control Policy by filing a report with Campus
Police and arranging for the payment and replacement of the key. Contact Charlotte Lewis (email@example.com, 280.6101, LA Building, room 138) to arrange for the replacement of the carrel key.
- The replacement cost for a lost key is $55 payable to the Bursar.
- Failure to comply with the Access Control Policy may prevent any further carrel access and the cost of replacing the key may be deducted from the key holder’s account.
If you have any questions, please contact the Public Services Desk, either by
email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (280-6355).