Krauss Department Store COLLECTION
Earl K. Long Library
Size: 27 linear feet
Inclusive dates: ca. 1903-1997
Bulk dates: 1990s
Summary: Records of Krauss Department Store, chiefly pertaining to advertising but also including photographs, correspondence, memorabilia, and other materials.
collections: J. Philip Preddy Collection (Mss 282)
Source: Gift, 2005
Access: No restrictions
rights are retained by the Earl K. Long Library,
Department Store Collection, Earl K. Long Library,
In 1903 Krauss was opened
at 1201 Canal St. in New Orleans by Leon Fellman and his nephews, the Krauss
brothers—Max Alfred, Leopold, and Fritz.
The building cost $25,000.
Because of its location—right on the edge of Storyville—the store sold
satin and lace to the ladies of the “District,” as it was known. Of course, women from all over the city
shopped there, as well. Krauss was the
first department store to install air conditioning in 1925 and also the first
to have escalators—then known as mechanical stairs. The store survived into the 1990s by stocking
obscure items not available at large chains and by refusing to reduce service
to its loyal
Sources: Gambit Weekly
The collection has not been processed.
Krauss Department Store (Firm)